What I learned from Comm41 this semester is to be able to critically analyze and decide if the claims on the topic I’m reading about have validity to them. I learned to be able be less ambiguous and more ambiguous in my own statements depending on how I want my claims to be perceived by the audience. I learned how to use reasoning and its multiple forms such as causal reasoning, sign reasoning, reasoning by example, and inductive or deductive reasoning. Another thing I learned how to make my statement or claims to be stronger is appealing to the emotion of my readers. Appeal to fear is using the readers’ fear to compel them to take or not take action toward whatever you wanted with your claim. Appeal to vanity is a huge tool used by marketing towards their audience to manipulate the audience to buying their advertised products in order to look as good as the image they used in their advertisement.
This was one of the main things I thought was most helpful in the class too. I am now more careful in writing and analyzing arguments and how I decided how valid or strong they are. I also use different types of reasoning to make my arguments stronger and this class has made me more aware of the different types of reasoning. I also learned that to make arguments stronger you have to use different type of reasoning to match your argument. The adverting aspect is a really good point and as advertising minor it is a very good technique to know because it helps make your ads more persuasive.
ReplyDelete