Friday, September 16, 2011

Fallacies

In chapter 11, we learned different type of fallacies which are in general altogether bad arguments. We often see this in everyday from people opinions and especially in debates. One class I took last year was global climate change. I remember a debate where the whole audiences are antagonist to the whole global climate change. The scientist that was debating the climate change is a fact and was showing in details with data accumulated through the centuries and yet, all of the audiences were giving fallacies in their belief that global climate change is not happening. Some were slandering the scientific communities that are trying to inform the world to go green by not wasting energy or driving less with alternatives. They were refuting with phony argument that other prominent scientist figures disagree that global climate change is happening, yet they failed to mention that those prominent scientists happen to be affiliated with oil companies.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your post. You have given a great example, but you haven't defined or mentioned which fallacy you have used. The question was to explain the fallacy you are using and give an example. You have done a great job on giving an example, but it’s not clear which fallacy you are using. I think you have used shifting the burden of proof. It is easier to ask for a disproof of your claims than to prove them yourself. In your example you mentioned that that, “Some were slandering the scientific communities that are trying to inform the world to go green by not wasting energy or driving less with alternatives. They were refuting with phony argument that other prominent scientist figures disagree that global climate change is happening, yet they failed to mention that those prominent scientists happen to be affiliated with oil companies” So I think they disproved of their claims and couldn’t

    ReplyDelete