Thursday, September 1, 2011
Vague Direction
Vagueness or vague comments are defined by the perspective of the parties receiving or communicating it. One can argue any sentence as vague if it is not defined thoroughly. An example of vagueness just happened in a communication I just recently had with m my mom. She called me from her cell phone to ask me to find something for her that she put in the basement. The problem is we use our basement as the storage. She said it should be in the white box when I go downstairs next to the water heater. What happened when I wentdownstairs to the water heater? There were at least 10 big white boxes and another dozen small white boxes. I asked her, "Which box are you talking about because there are a lot of white boxes I’m looking at." She said it should be in one of the smaller boxes. I listened to her vague directions and it took me more than half an hour to go through all the boxes to find her old glasses because her direction is not precise and clear. It may be clear to her but it's because she put them there herself. How can someone else understand if those were the only direction gave them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment